Concourse D + Terminal Wings Expansion at BNA
Nashville, Tennessee, USA
This Concourse D and Terminal expansion project helps maintain Nashville as a world-class airport for its record-breaking passenger volumes.
In 2018, Nashville International Airport (BNA) welcomed a record 14.9 million passengers. In fact, this set an all-time passenger record for the fifth consecutive year. Therefore, a desire to maintain Nashville International Airport as a world-class facility was a primary driver behind the expansion to Concourse D and the Terminal.
This project yielded six new departures gates along with associated ramp amenities and function space. Furthermore, it brought about the renovation of a portion of Concourse C to enable the relocation of airport operations during the construction of other BNA Vision projects. In addition, it expanded the Terminal in both the north and south directions to offer interim TSA checkpoints, future permanent ticketing check-in counters, concessions, support offices, and bag claim devices. Ultimately, it also constructed a completely new Central Utility Plant.
- Commercial Airport Architectural Project of the Year, American Association of Airport Executives (SEA-AAAE), 2021
- Aviation Project of the Year, DBIA, 2021
USGBC LEED Silver-Certified
Sustainable design strategies include:
- Energy efficient, programmable lighting dims when natural light is adequate for visibility
- Electrochromic glass blocks out excessive sunlight and heat for passengers’ comfort while reducing glare and energy consumption for climate control
- Geothermal cooling harnesses natural resources and also reduces energy consumption and costs for climate control
- Water-conserving plumbing
- Light-colored building and paving materials retain less heat, reducing energy use for climate control and mitigating heat-island effects
- Waste-reduction focus with recycling bins throughout the concourse and 80 percent of construction waster diverted from landfills
- Emphasis on human health and well-being with green cleaning practices, water bottle filling stations for hydration, an abundance of natural light, and multiple art installations
In 2021, BNA’s Concourse D and Terminal Wings Expansion was one of only three aviation projects chosen for a DBIA Merit Award and one of 30 projects nationwide to earn this elite recognition.